Seasonal Roasties with Chimichurri
I’m always surprised by the seasonal variety of veg available in December and January. Theres only a few months where we’re limited to roots and greens but the variety is massive: from salsify to swedes, artichokes to the mighty parsnip.
Experiment with these different roots roasted up with plenty of fresh herbs and garlic in your roast dinner.
Small bunch of parsley 2 tbsp dried or fresh oregano 4 cloves garlic, crushed 1 tsp dried chilli flakes Extra virgin olive oil Splash of red wine vinegar Salt and pepper
1) Finely chop all the ingredients by hand, in a blender or with pestle and mortar.
2) Add enough olive oil to make a sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
For this recipe I found jerusalem artichokes, parsnips and turnips in my local grocer that looked best so I roasted them up with thyme and whole cloves of unpeeled garlic. Choose whatever looks best when you’re in your local shop or market.
Method – preheat the oven to 180°
1) Wash your vegetables and cut them into chunky pieces.
2) Toss them in oil, herbs, salt and pepper. Cover with foil and put in a hot oven for 25 minutes.
3) Remove the foil and put back into the hot oven. Cook till they’re just soft and charred in spots.
4) Serve with plenty of chimmichurri to dip into.
THE NATURAL COOK
For more of my world inspired seasonal recipes buy my book here.
SUBSCRIBELocal, Seasonal, Organic...
Sign up now and recieve a free recipe from the book!