A Fresh Christmas Persimmon Salad
Persimmon, sharon fruit, kaki or even ‘fruit of the gods’ is a unique and delicious fruit that either tastes like a fresh, sweet, fruity date or a sour and astringent berry. So pick well when you’re in the market. Look for ripe fruit that are not bruised but give a little when squeezed. At this time of year they’re everywhere and they work really well in savoury dishes as well as sweet.
Waste not: If your persimmons become over ripe, they make an amazing smoothie with banana and orange juice.
Ingredients - serves 4 2 ripe persimmons Handful of hazelnuts 1 chicory or radicchio, separate leaves and wash 100g watercress 150g curd cheese Extra virgin olive oil 1 lemon
1) Toast the hazelnuts slightly then crush into large pieces.
2) Slice the persimmons to the thickness of a pound coin.
3) Construct the leaves on the plate interlaced with persimmon.
4) Blob the curd cheese around the plate and sprinkle with the hazelnuts.
5) Dress with the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
THE NATURAL COOK
For more of my world inspired seasonal recipes buy my book here.
SUBSCRIBELocal, Seasonal, Organic...
Sign up now and recieve a free recipe from the book!